2008년 3월 13일 목요일

What should I do?

I'm sure that you have a lot of skills at teaching.
Do you want to share your skills and experiences?
I works at girl' middle school. I teach the third grade students.
Whenever I teach English in class, some students who hope to apply the foreign school want to study by herself. In this case, what should I do?
Last year, My principal didn't accept it. So I followed the principal's decision.
But parents and students complained a lot.

댓글 6개:

Andy's :

Hi, Judy!
I think you'd better not let them study by themselves. Rather give them a chance to study by themselves. Make a special class for them after school, or during lunch time, or morning class. First, you can guide, then let them study by themselves.

Lucy :

Hi Judy,

Your name reminds of one of my favorites, Daddy long leg. I like your name.

Wow! It's a very complicated question. Sometimes teacher is be in a double-bind, and can't decide what to do. If a teacher let the certain students go out of the class and do self-study, other students will not hide their umcomfortable feelings. I think we'd better keep them in the classroom. It's not efficient for those who prepare some tests, though. I think we don't have any decision on this kind of matter. No matter what we decide on our own, we'll be probably blamed.

Sorry for not giving you fresh answer. Have a nice weekend.

Nicole :

Hi Judy,

My apologies for taking so long to get your address correct on the list. Great 'real world' question. I wonder if there is another high level student that could work together with your 'problem' student. Perhaps you could help her make a special study group of other enthusiastic students....I know that my knowledge is not very good about the real situation so perhaps my answer is not very useful.

Nicole :

Another note. I'm very impressed with your linking your classmates to your page. Excellent organization and technical skill!

s0311april :

That is a problem that most of teachers wrestle with. Sacrifing the minority for the majority or not? I would keep them in the classroom because I don't think they know all that is going on in class.

Mcluhan :

As a high school teacher, I have experienced the same case many times. According to the 7th National Curriculum, each school must provide a lot of elective courses from low and advanced level based on each student's level. However, who know it's impossible?
If I were you, I would let her study her own by herself. Instead, I would set a lot of assignments which helps her with her goal.